Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Fall Invasions

The leaves are in full color and it is striking. Much more than I could ever imagined. Because we are in such a rural area, the temperature really drops like a rock. We have had 40 degrees swings between the morning 30 and the afternoon 70, so much different than my suburban lifestyle where the temperature moderated because of all the civilization. I can say that the frost on the ground, the frozen pond, the smell in the air makes it so much more worth it to be here right now.
I counted over 20 robins in my yard today as they migrate to wherever robins migrate. I also saw a chipmunk chasing the robins out of its acorn patch then climb a tree. I had no idea that chipmunks could climb trees .
We also have had low flying geese come through squawking as they came by. The next day we had low flying Marines. So you ask, “What are low flying Marines?”
2 legged arthropods that come in helicopters. That is correct. Martinsville has been invaded by Marines that are doing pre-deployment training. I made a comment that I really did not miss the sound of low flying aircraft that I was so accustomed too in Arlington. Now I know that I did not miss them. My usual silence was so interrupted by all this invading and storming buildings that kept me looking up instead of getting the quarter-zillion things I need to get done this week.

No comments: