Sunday, June 17, 2007

Life snuck up on me this morning.


How things change in a minute.
I was sitting there quietly when an email arrived from someone I went to high school with.via this really annoying reunion site.

I almost deleted the email but since I could not sleep I let the link take me to the post.
It announced that my best friend from my childhood had died of a heart attack. It also said his mother was in ill health.
My heart sank.
Someone I had grown up with and lost touch with had died.
I still know his birthday and his phone number. I know his 3 brothers and 1 sister’s names. I feel awful that I could not get in touch with him all these years but I did try a few times.

I went out for my bike ride and started reminiscing the things we did together.
Going to a movie for my 10th birthday. Bedknobs and Broomsticks. The sleep overs at his house and at my house. The tornado that damaged his house when I was in the 4th grade. I remember going into the forest and seeing all the downed trees.
His family was Catholic and I attended CCD with him on more than one occasion. I was heartbroken when I received a tract from my church saying that all Catholics were going to hell. I just could not believe someone so good and pure as him was going to go to hell.

I moved away and came back 5 years later and we never resumed the relationship. I was now the product of an over-crowded school system with apathetic teachers and had fallen behind him in academic life. He was one of the brains in the school and I was just average.

I found his obituary in his local paper and find he leaves a wife and 3 children behind and was attending a Baptist church. I need to reach out to his family and let them know I will miss him. He showed me friendship and his family showed me hospitality. Somethings we all need to show to others.

No comments: